Swiss Multi-Science Computing Grid
The project started in May 2008 and ended the 30th of April 2013 has established computational services for user communities of various scientific domains. Our computational services and our support are long-term and user community centric.
The project has transitioned its activities within the Swiss Academic Compute Cloud (SwissACC).
to provide computational resources to solve scientific computationally intensive problems
- multi-disciplinary and user driven: we support applications in the fields of biology, chemistry, physics, avalanche research, and cryptography.
Users from other sciences are encouraged to participate.
- support for users and applications: provide simple and fast Grid access and assist user groups in porting and running their applications.
- integrated user management: leverage user registration, authentication and authorization using a national AAI infrastructure (SWITCHaai).
- middleware based: we use the Nordugrid ARC with the LFC support (basic data management) and components for authentication and authorization (SLCS, VOMS). We started integrating virtualization and cloud technologies in our portfolio since 2011.
- policy based: by the end of the project the Grid will reach operational stage, which is governed by policies between resource providers and user communities.
- faster cooperation between IT infrastructure providers and computational scientists.
- security: the project seeks active cooperation with the CERT teams of the Swiss higher education sector.
- sustainability: plan to extend the project even after the current life time
Project Partners: several institutions of the Swiss higher education sector.